Cystitis has a special place among inflammatory diseases of the genitourinary system. Very often, the disease affects pregnant women whose immunity is under severe stress due to the condition. Treatment of cystitis during pregnancy is the key to the health of women and the unborn child.
Why is cystitis dangerous during pregnancy?
Pyelonephritis is the most dangerous and common complication of advanced cystitis. This condition requires compulsory hospitalization and hospital treatment. What worries expectant mothers in particular is whether cystitis is dangerous for the baby.
Results for the child
Despite the fact that the fetus with an advanced form of cystitis is reliably protected from external infections by the amniotic sac, the following results appear for the child:
- Premature birth or miscarriage.
- Water leak.
- Intrauterine infections.
Results for a woman
It is important to understand that in the absence of treatment, cystitis becomes a chronic form that is difficult to get rid of. Among the possible results:
- inflammation of the kidneys;
- bladder damage;
- inflammation of the mucous membranes;
- urinary incontinence;
- bladder empyema;
- ulcerative cystitis.
Chronic or acute cystitis in the early stages of pregnancy, if left untreated, can cause serious pathologies in a woman and lead to premature birth in the later stages.
Symptoms of the disease
Among the most common and noticeable symptoms of cystitis during pregnancy are:
- Cloudy or pink urine discoloration.
- Presence of mucus or blood droplets in the urine.
- Pain when urinating. Particularly severe cramps occur at the end of urination in women.
- A constant call to empty the bladder. Sometimes such calls are wrong or are accompanied by only a few drops of urine.
- Pain in the bladder will get worse if you press on the area.
Sometimes the symptoms of cystitis during pregnancy are confused with physiological changes due to the pressure of the uterus on the bladder. It is important to monitor your feelings and make a timely visit to a gynecologist who can make a correct diagnosis.
Treatment of cystitis in pregnant women consists of a complex of drugs, each of which is selected only by the attending physician. In this case, the doctor takes into account how much the benefits of treatment outweigh the possible risks to the fetus. During treatment, a woman should be monitored by a gynecologist and examined regularly. Only in this case, cystitis can be completely cured.
Treatment of early cystitis
It is important to understand that the earlier you start treatment, the better the outcome. Treatment of cystitis in pregnant women includes the following points.
- take medicine;
- compliance with the drinking regime;
- to prescribe a special diet;
- use of folk recipes and techniques.
In the first week
In the early stages, especially in the first week, cystitis is often confused with the manifestations of pregnancy, and therefore many women ignore the manifestations of the disease until it becomes chronic or complications appear. The fact is that with the onset of pregnancy, the enlarged uterus begins to press on the bladder, causing a feeling of bloating and urge to urinate. However, pain and burning along with inflammation are added to this symptom.
If cystitis is detected in the first week of pregnancy, specialists try to find a "soft" treatment. The main methods include:
- Prescribing medications. Mostly natural uroseptics are preferred.
- Compliance with the drinking regime.
- Compliance with personal hygiene.
If the first trimester of pregnancy is complicated by inflammation of the bladder, the woman is hospitalized.
In the first trimester
As in any situation, treatment of the disease begins with a diagnosis that allows to determine the cause of inflammation. The doctor then selects the treatment regimen. It is important to understand that you need to be extremely careful when choosing a drug in the early stages, because the risk of falling is high. In general, the set of measures is practically no different from those set in the first week. Cystitis should not be ignored in the first trimester.
Remember:Self-medication of cystitis during pregnancy, especially with the use of drugs, is unacceptable. Such measures pose a direct threat to the life of the unborn child.
Treatment of the disease in the later stages
It is important to choose medications carefully during the third trimester and the first weeks. Some may contain substances that can cause the uterus to contract. The treatment regimen in the following stages is as follows:
- to take antibacterial drugs;
- compliance with the drinking regime;
- use of herbal uroseptics;
- appointment of analgesics and antispasmodics, if necessary.
In some cases, a woman is offered to go to the hospital to minimize the risk of complications.
How to treat
It is necessary to apply to get rid of the disease:
- Auxiliary drugs such as analgesics or antispasmodics.
- Traditional medicine.
Important:The choice of medication during pregnancy is made by a doctor on the basis of only one examination. If a specialist offers a woman hospitalization, you should never turn down this opportunity.
Drug treatment during pregnancy consists of combining several groups of drugs at the same time. This measure not only destroys the pathogenic microflora, but also minimizes the risk of relapse. Before starting therapy, be sure to consult a doctor who will explain what you can take and why you should give up.
Antibiotics are needed during pregnancy to prevent pathogenic microflora in cystitis and to heal faster. In addition, it is irreplaceable if a woman has an exacerbation of cystitis. Generally, medications with minimal side effects are preferred at birth.
Antibiotics in the form of suspensions, powders and tablets can also be prescribed for cystitis during pregnancy.
Remember:The dose of the drug and the duration of the course of treatment is determined by a specialist. It is important to follow the doctor's advice and complete the prescribed course, even if the feeling of cystitis passes, because if antibiotics are taken incorrectly, the microorganisms develop drug resistance.
The most preferred drug during pregnancy. These products have minimal side effects and can be used during pregnancy. They work well with antibiotics and can increase their effectiveness.
Phytopreparations have the following properties:
Due to its natural composition, you need to take the drug for a long time to get a full therapeutic effect. In the acute form, phytopreparations are drunk for at least 2-3 weeks. Dosage is determined by a doctor who knows how to treat cystitis in pregnant women.
In pregnant women, suppositories can be prescribed both in the early stages of pregnancy and in the last trimester. Such drugs are safer than tablet antibiotics because they do not affect the gastrointestinal tract. In addition, they absorb into the bloodstream rapidly and begin to move.
Basically, traditional medicine for pregnant women suggests the use of herbal decoctions as medicinal substances. Common recipes include:
- Rosehip decoction. To do this, pour 3 tablespoons of rose hips in a glass of boiling water and cook for about 10-15 minutes on a steam bath. After that, the broth is allowed to infuse for 20 minutes, filter and take ½ cup 3-4 times a day.
- Tea made from black currant leaves. You can drink with cystitis at any time. For one drink you will need 9 tablespoons of currant leaves and 1. 5 liters of boiling water. The tea is brewed for 30-40 minutes, then drunk during the day.
- Cranberry juice. A glass of fresh cornel will require 1, 5 liters of boiling water. The berries are pre-crushed, then poured with water and infused for 30 minutes. You can add a spoonful of honey to the fruit drink to taste. The drink is consumed during the day.
- Chamomile baths. A decoction or infusion is prepared in advance on the basis of chamomile with the addition of 1, 5 liters of warm water. Generally, 1. 5 liters of broth requires the same amount of water. The liquid is poured into the bath and sit there for 15-20 minutes. The water temperature should not be too hot, as this can cause the uterus to contract. It is not recommended to take a bath in the first trimester of pregnancy.
Important:The use of alternative medicine during pregnancy is allowed only after prior consultation with the attending physician.
Acute cystitis during pregnancy
The acute form of the disease usually occurs suddenly and is characterized by severe symptoms. Factors such as:
- decreased immunity and hormonal disorders during childbirth;
- prone to allergic reactions;
- compression of the vessels and blood vessels in the bladder. This condition is most common in pregnant women because the enlarged uterus compresses the urinary tract
- bladder, interference with full blood flow;
- excessive work, which is typical for pregnant women;
- A typical cause for bladder pressure in pregnant women is mechanical stress.
The following symptoms in pregnant women allow you to determine if you are experiencing this form of the disease:
- The desire to go to the toilet regularly.
- The pain in the lower part worsens when pressed.
- Traces of blood in the urine.
- Increase in body temperature to 38 degrees.
- Aqueous discharge with an unpleasant odor.
Chronic cystitis during pregnancy
The main reason for the development of chronic cystitis in pregnant women is acute cystitis, which is not completely cured. In this case, a woman is worried about the following symptoms of cystitis during pregnancy:
- desire to use the toilet frequently;
- pain when urinating;
- lower abdominal pain;
- wrong call to use the toilet.
Chronic cystitis manifests itself outside the season, when a woman's immunity is reduced. However, recurrence of the disease is more common during pregnancy.
The main danger of chronic cystitis is an increased risk of inflammation in the kidneys. In this condition, pyelonephritis develops, which leads to disability and even death without help. In addition, serious complications can occur during childbirth, including such complications and infection of the baby while passing through the birth canal.
The inflammatory process that affects the genitourinary system during pregnancy poses a direct threat not only to the mother, but also to the unborn child. During this period, the treatment of the disease is carried out under the supervision of a specialist. It is important to know exactly how to treat cystitis during pregnancy!